Reflecting on the wants of the age and the needs of the time, Venerable Cornelia Connelly, the Foundress of the Society of the Holy Child Jesus (SHCJ) developed a vision of education that is based on trust and reverence for the dignity of every human being. This Holy Child Philosophy of Education is the guiding principles for the training of pupils and students in all Holy Child Schools.
Cornelia believed that every child has been endowed with special gifts and talents. This is why she advised that teachers should make frantic effort to identify different individual gifts of every child, help them to develop such for the common good of all in the society. She also advised teachers to encourage the children to bring out their original ideas and discourage them from the desire to copy. Thus, she said: “Be yourself, but make that self what God meant it to be”. This was a goal Cornelia appreciated fully for herself, and was willing to help others to achieve it all the dedicated force of her considerable natural and supernatural gifts as an educator. This view and approach to education is what makes Holy Child education unique and appealing to every age and race.
A teacher instructs children at the Cornelia Connelly School of the Holy Child, Mempeasim, Cape Coast, Ghana.
Holy Child Schools in Africa in Nigeria and Ghana:
- Holy Child College, Obalende, Ikoyi, Lagos, Nigeria
- Holy Child Secondary School, Marian Hill, Calabar, Nigeria
- Holy Child Model Nursery/Primary School, Otukpo, Benue State, Nigeria
- Holy Child College, Asa, Otukpo, Benue State, Nigeria
- St. Anne’s Secondary School, Otukpo, Benue State, Nigeria
- Cornelia Connelly School of the Holy Child Jesus, Abeokuta, Nigeria
- Our Lady of Nigeria Primary School Oghareki, Oghara, Delta State, Nigeria
- Our Lady of Nigeria Secondary School, Oghareki, Oghara, Delta State, Nigeria
- Dr. William Kupiec Girls’ Academy, Agbaduma, Kogi State, Nigeria
- Holy Child Senior High School, Cape Coast, Ghana
- Holy Child College of Education, Takoradi, Ghana
- St. Charles Lwanga School of the Holy Child, Walembele, Upper West Region of Ghana
- Cornelia Connelly School of the Holy Child, Mpeasem, Cape Coast, Ghana
- Cardoso Catholic Secondary School, Ajegunle, Lagos State, Nigeria
- St. Ita’s Catholic Girls College, Sapele, Delta State, Nigeria
- Cornelia Connelly School of the Holy Child, Nkaseim, Goaso, Ghana
- St. Mark’s Basic School Ashongmang Estate Accra, Ghana
- Bishop Essuah Basic School, Takoradi, Ghana